MALTA INDIVIDUAL INVESTOR PROGRAMME
The fundamental principle underlying the Malta Individual Investor Programme (IIP) is that of granting Maltese citizenship by virtue of a certificate of naturalisation to High Net Worth individuals and their families (provided these are proved to be of good repute following rigorous due diligence checks), who contribute to the economic and social growth of the Maltese islands.
The most striking objectives why one would seek to acquire Maltese citizenship include:
The main applicant must satisfy the following criteria:
- be at least 18 years of age,
- provide proof of having been a resident of Malta for a period of 12 months preceding the issuing of a certificate of naturalisation.
Moreover, the subsequent investment requirements must also be met:
- The acquisition of real estate with a minimum value of EUR 350,000 to be held for at least 5 years; or Lease a residential immovable property in Malta for a period of 5 years, at an annual rent of at least EUR 16,000;
[N.B: Immovable property cannot be let or sub-let]
- Make a contribution to the National Development and Social Fund
- An investment in stocks, bonds or special purpose vehicles to be identified by Identity Malta, for a minimum value of EUR 150,000 to be held for a minimum period of 5 years.
- Applicants must have a Global Health Insurance coverage for at least EUR 50,000 for the main applicant and each of the dependants. In addition, evidence showing that the same can be maintained for an indefinite period must be provided.
- Principal applicant €650,000
- Spouse €25,000
- Each Dependant child aged 0-17 €25,000
- Each Dependant child aged 18-26 €50,000
- Each Dependant aged 55 or above €50,000
Due Diligence Fees
- Principal applicant €7,500
- Spouse €5,000
- Each Dependant child aged 13-17 €3,000
- Each Dependant child aged 18-26 €5,000
- Each Dependant aged 55 or above €5,000
- €500 per person
- €200 per application
BULGARIA: RESIDENCY & CITIZENSHIP BY INVESTMENT
Bulgaria is found at the heart of the European continent and is endowed with rich history and culture, temperate climate and model working environment. The Bulgarian Investor Programme for Residence and Citizenship is key to European lifestyle and economy. The process is facilitated through the following benefits:
- Residency can be acquired within six to nine months
- Fast-track opportunity for citizenship within two years
- Exemption from obligatory physical residence
- Government-approved investments and various funding possibilities from banks
- Knowledge of the Bulgarian language is not required
- Current nationality can be retained
- Attractive tax rates and free-trade movement milieu within the EU
In order for an applicant to be eligible to obtain residency or citizenship, ONE of the following criteria should be met:
- Be a non-EU citizen
- Is in possession of a valid passport or other foreign travel document
- Make available supporting documentation regarding the source and origin of the funds invested
- Hold a clear criminal record
- Attest the power of attorneys and the investment agreement
- Satisfy the required minimum statutory trips to Bulgaria
By choosing this option, the applicant would be acceding to deposit BGN 1 million (€ 511,292) in a Governmental Bond Portfolio which the Bulgarian Government will retain for a 5 year period. No further payments would be required. Once the said investment period lapses, the investor will recover the payment in full with 0% accrued interest. The repayment of the full amount is guaranteed through government bonds.
One may also invest in shares of a corporation admitted to trading on the Sofia stock exchange, bonds, related instruments or their derivatives, issued by the Government of Bulgaria or by Bulgarian local government, with at least 6 months to maturity; Bulgarian intellectual property, including patents, trade marks, service marks and industrial designs, the capital of private Bulgarian corporations (in this case an investment of at least (approx. EUR 3 million, USD 3.5 million) is required).
It is also possible that the investment be financed, that is, the investor can also elect to leverage the capital by financing the necessary amount via a European bank.
The outcome yielded via the standard track is that the applicant will become a permanent resident upon completing the qualifying investment. Once the qualifying investment is held for 5 years, on
further application, one would acquire the right to apply for Bulgarian citizenship.
The applicant must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be over 18 years of age
- Must have upheld a permanent residency status and a valid residential address for the past five years
- Must have never been convicted or accused in criminal proceedings for a capital offence by the Bulgarian courts (save if one has been rehabilitated)
The prospective applicant must file the citizenship application and successfully carry out any required medical tests in their current country of residence.
Prospective applicants might also wish to speed up the process to acquire Bulgarian citizenship. This can be possible by doubling their investment (Euro 1,000,000) at any time after the first year from the investment, one will become eligible to apply for citizenship within a further 6 months, rather than having to wait for the 5-year period to lapse.
The applicant should also satisfy the following requirements:
- Have had a permanent residency status for a minimum of one year and entered the country at least twice in the first 6 months.
- The investment is doubled by purchasing € 512,000 in government bonds or in the capital of a Bulgarian company in charge of a Priority Investment Project
- Hold a second additional investment for a two year period
The possibility of financed investments is available to eligible applicants. Moreover, applications for this fast-track program treated as a priority.
CYPRUS CITIZENSHIP THROUGH INVESTMENT
Cyprus is a small island in the heart of the eastern Mediterranean Sea embracing a long history and rich culture spanning over around 10000 years, rendering it one of the oldest civilisations in the Mediterranean. It is endowed with countless captivating cultural sights, museums, monuments and galleries. Situated at the crossroads of Europe, Africa and Asia makes it the ideal place for working and travelling both inside and beyond the European continent. Cyprus also offers a safe and stable setting ideal for raising families. Investors also recognise the numerous investment opportunities accessible.
The Cyprus program poses no hard and fast rules on the applicants. Rather, it offers many benefits, including the following:
- Rapid procedure – the approval citizenship application occurs within 3 months
- Residency and Citizenship applications can be filed simultaneously
- Physical residency is not mandatory. One is only bound to visit the country once every 7 years
- No language requirements
- Parents qualify for citizenship provided they own a house valued at €500,000 + VAT or own a share of €500,000 in a residential property of the main applicant.
- Application can be submitted by civil unions
- Current nationality can be retained
- Low tax rates and free trade within the EU
- Unhindered right to live, own property, work and study in the EU
- Strategically positioned, linking the Middle East, North Africa and the EU
- Excellent educational and health-care systems
QUALIFICATION FOR CYPRIOT CITIZENSHIP THROUGH NATURALISATION BY EXCEPTION
Applicants, either - personally or through a company/companies in which s/he participates as a shareholder or through investments carried out by his/her spouse or jointly or even as a high-ranking
senior manager of a company/companies - must fulfil ONE of the investment options below and hold it for 3 years in addition to meeting the subsequent conditions:
- Possess a valid passport
- Have a clear criminal conduct
- The main applicant’s name must not be included on the list of persons whose property is ordered to be frozen by the EU
- Must be resident prior to being granted citizenship (hence the aforementioned simultaneous application)
- Own a permanent private residence in the Republic of Cyprus with a purchase price of at least €500,000 plus applicable VAT.
- Should the applicant elect to invest solely in private properties and one of the said properties is valued at a minimum of €500,000, then the total investment amount must be €2 million.
- A minimum of € 2 million investment in Real Estate, Land Development or Infrastructure Project (residential or commercial developments, developments in the tourism sector)
- A minimum of € 2 million investment in the Purchase, Creation or Participation in Cypriot Businesses or Companies (These businesses or companies must have a tangible presence in
Cyprus and employ at least five Cypriot citizens or European citizens)
- A minimum of € 2 million investment in Financial Assets of Cypriot Companies or Organisations (This includes bonds, securities, debentures registered and issued in the Republic of Cyprus. Investors must maintain the purchased assets for a period of 3 years)
- Combination Investment with a total of at least €2 million
CYPRIOT CITIZENSHIP PROCESSING FEES
Application Submission Fees
Certificate Issuance Fee